Wednesday, February 25, 2009

An Awkward Situation

So, my mom is getting married. She has been through 2 previous marriages and I personally think that this one is going to be the last. They are so perfect for each other that it is kind of sickening... in a good way! Because I got married 3 years ago, my mom wants me to help her plan the wedding. So I am bridesmaid/wedding planner.

The awkward part is that this is a pretty traditional wedding... in that it is taking place in a church. The church that I used to go to before I switched over to Paganism about 4 years ago. As it is, whenever I run into people that I used to go to services with or youth group with around town, they ask me the same questions: "Why don't I ever see you at church anymore?" "It's been a really long time, Kristin! You need to come to church on Sunday!" and so on... Ugh. Now don't get me wrong. They're nice people, but this is Oklahoma: right smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. The exact reason why only a very small number of people know about my spirituality.I just don't want to explain all this to the Bible-beaters that I used to go to church with.

If it was a church that I wasn't familiar with, I would be fine, but it is the one I used to go to. I guess if the Pastor (who will be marrying my mom) asks me why I never go to church, I can just blow it off as being busy or working all the time (which is mostly true) like I have with everyone else that asks.

I feel all skwirmy inside about it though. Ugh. Awkward...


But on a more positive note: I am sooo digging the bridesmaid dress! I look great in it. (And yes that is the color. I personally would have picked a different color, but hey, it's my mom's wedding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment